Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Location Guide for Georgia, USA

 I am finding wonderful maps for the state of Georgia. The purpose being to understand more clearly where my family lived. And in the case of my family, McFarlands and other families, why they chose to leave Georgia and take up residence in Arkansas. 

They were slaves in Franklin County, then later moved to Hart County and Madison County. 

I am also tracing their migration route into Arkansas.

My first step in this process is to gather maps from the beginning of Georgia's state hood through the end of the Civil War and up to the year 1890. I want to find when the counties were formed so I can determine what court houses stored county documents. Also, this will help me research the Freedmen's Bureau for any documentation and find the laws of the state and counties.

Map of Hart County 1889

No comments:

Post a Comment