Thursday, September 9, 2021

1784 Plats for Franklin County

 I am collecting as many maps concerning Franklin County, Hart County, and Madison County. These are the regions my ancestors resided in Georgia up until around 1880 or so. I am getting deep into this rabbit hole. These plats, however, will give information on the land owners who first populated Franklin County. This could possibly help with my research of how the slave woman, Penelope came to Georgia and eventually to be a slave of John McFarland. I figure if I find the deeds of these men perhaps I will see a transfer from one household to another concerning Penelope. Also, by using newspapers to find advertisements concerning trades it may possibly help with my research.

The main two places, so far, that I am getting my maps are the Georgia Archives and the Library of Congress web sites. Because of copyrights laws I can't give you a link, but such google Georgia Archives and Library of Congress to find maps of your counties. It is also more fun to find these maps yourselves - after all who doesn't love sliding down a rabbit hole 😀

Well, back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment