Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Getting the Data

I found census records that were free on Census Finder http://www.censusfinder.com/ and were able to verify birth dates and family names from the census. One problem I see using the census is you can't completely rely on them. The main reason, as I see it, is if a child is born and dies between census dates you would not know that person existed. I am trying to think how you could verify everyone in the family - one way, of course, is family oral report. But if everyone is dead then I'm thinking utilizing the newspapers' obituary section or physically going to the family cemetery and looking there. I also was excited to find Federal Land Records to see how much land my family owned. Overall, a very successful day and I didn't have to pay or charge for anything!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment